Monday, November 12, 2007

Saucey


Lindsey and I are huge fans of the restaurant Gyu-Kaku. If you haven't been, run to your nearest one. Gyu is a Japanese BBQ place, the kind where you have a grill at your table and cook your own food. Yummy.


Two things that Gyu has that drive both of us craving more? The salad dressing and this one dipping sauce. I'm not exactly sure what the dipping sauce is called. The website refers to it as their Sweet and Spicy sauce, but I just called it the world's best sauce...and that's saying a lot. The salad dressing is also tops, it's a miso mustard dressing. So delicious.


Lindsey and I went to Gyu on Saturday night, the problem was we didn't want to eat there. In retrospect, this was a really dumb idea, (Lindsey still defends it by the way). You have to eat there because, duh, you have to cook your food there, but we weren't really digging that. Our decision was to cook the food quickly, pack it to go and leave. I can't explain to you why we were so adamant about doing this, but we were.


So, we made it to Gyu at 5:30 at night. We had to wait about a half hour to get seated. We stood outside of the restaurant waiting for a table when I reached into my purse, took a bottled Diet Coke I had from earlier in the day and started drinking it. This was when Lindsey let me know that I better drink the whole thing up really quickly, because she was going to be needing it in a few moments. For what?


Smuggling sauce.


She wanted to put their delicious sauce in the Diet Coke bottle so she could have the sauce at home for future cravings.


When we were seated, Lindsey got up with my Coke bottle, went to the ladies room, washed the bottle out and came back to the table. It was on!


This was not the easiest task in the world, considering the waitress was totally creeped out by us and was keeping close watch. We kept asking for more salad dressing. We kept cooking our food and setting it aside. We kept asking for refills of the sauce even though we weren't eating and finally, it's basically impossible to go through one of their jars in one meal.
This whole process took about 2 hours...we should have just eaten there.


I'm proud to say we got out of there without anyone asking us about it. I know this doesn't mean they didn't know, but it makes us feel better. And I think the worst part about it is that I was so overcome with jealously that Lindsey got to have that sauce at home that I am now forcing her to go back so we can smuggle more sauce.


Sadly, this trend is just beginning...because we're sauce whores.

24 comments:

shaynapunam said...

That must be some good sauce. I am just thankful she wasn't planning to pee in the bottle while you were waiting. I am glad you are back blogging, but, unless you were in jail for sex with your underage students, you have to give us a hint as to what you have been up to! I wonder what the waitress was saying about you two when she'd go in the back...funny! Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Cute story, glad to have you back blogging! Second the motion that you catch us up on what you've been doing during your blog hiatus!

Anonymous said...

I third the catch up!

Robyn said...

Love it! Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to do that :)

Just curious - have you ever asked if you can just buy the sauce or dressing? I loved our local Japanese restaurant's Miso dressing so much that I inquired about purchasing some from them. They make it in-house, and now they sell it to me on a regular basis.
No harm in calling and asking!

Obesio said...

I agree-- it is bizzare to return after so long a hiatus without some explanation.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other comments - good story but please fill us in on your long hiatus...

Valerie said...

I can't believe your back! I have got to where I only checked every two weeks or so. I am so glad. I love your blog. Yay!!!!!

sonia said...

welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Ditto, fill us in.

beebop said...

i have a place like that with good sauce, Dojo's in the village in NYC, around NYU. The carrot dressing is one u fantasize about when having sex. lol.

Everything i order, i ask for that extra sauce on the side, even if i think the flavors may not meld. I always felt a lil weird about it, & i wanted to carry it in my purse in a zip lock bag, and then i saw they added it to the side items part of the menu for $.50! So when i know i got a drab salad or a rice dish at home that may need a secret ingredient, i stop by and buy a pint (or 2) of sauce, carrying it home like it's liquid gold.

Next time u gurls should bring a lil plastic funnel, or a wide mouth salsa jar...hee hee!

Anonymous said...

I actually have a sauce drawer in the kitchen where i keep all my pilfered sauces. I usually just fill my bag as far as i can. Can't wait to hear more as I am a long-time reader and first-time comment maker.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you just...ask? Especially if you were getting your food to go? Ask if you could buy a pint or half-pint of the sauce? What better compliment for the chef can there be? Had it been me, I would have asked my waitress about this, and it's my experience that I'm sure something could have been arranged.

Taboo said...

Glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

I thought you girls lived on opposite coasts? Glad you're together now.

Please fill us in on what you've been up to!!

Anonymous said...

I thought you girls were going to start blogging again... You can't tease me like this, it's just wrong!

shaynapunam said...

You know my newspaper carrier is PSYCHO, and after MONTHS of putting up with it, today, I cancelled the local paper and the Sunday NY Times...I am feeling the same about you all...I feel like my guilt-inducing mother: two entries and then, NOTHING?!?! Oy.

Anonymous said...

I am just thankful she wasn't planning to pee in the bottle while you were waiting.

LOL! That's what I thought when I read it!

Anonymous said...

I missed you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while you were on hiatus. I went back and read almost all of the archives and was left wanting more! I'm so glad you're back. Hope it's longterm! And I'm in agreement with everyone else. Explain the hiatus!

Anonymous said...

I Missed you Guys!

Anonymous said...

I too missed you ladies!

You should ask if they'll sell you some. A lot of restaurants will do that on request. I work at Starbucks, and we sell virtually everything if asked.

Anonymous said...

hmmM.. I am a loyal watcher of TBL and noticed a special biggest loser couple's addition coming in January....

that was a long hiatus you took... what were you two up to huh?huh?huh? If it's something you can't really talk about, I'm sure we'd understand *nudge*wink*nudge*...

Anonymous said...

Yeah i totally have the feeling they are the best friends on the biggest loser. I mean why else have they not explained the hiatus.

This comeback sucks. i should have erased this blog from my memory

Dolly said...

Hello.. Are yall MIA Again? Don't tease us... The faithful awaits.