Thursday, March 23, 2006

Type Cast

So, lately, along with Lost, I've sort of been really into Gilmore Girls. Okay, I've been super into it. So much, that I locked myself in my room with a cheeseburger, french fries and season five one glorious Sunday. It was wonderful. For a girl who feels horribly guilty if she doesn't leave the house at least once a day, this was monumental. So, on Monday I was on Gilmore Girl withdrawal. I couldn't concentrate at work, all I wanted to do was get into bed and watch my girls.

Besides periodically writing posts for the blog, I also email back and forth with Laura constantly at work. Laura is my 5'11 125lb friend that I can't get rid of because well, we've been friends forever. We usually fight a lot about dumb stuff like, how I don't care what she ate that day, (2 carrots and an apple), and how I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not she should go to the gym that day. So, I try to keep the conversation light. And, what better light conversation is there than discussing Gilmore Girls?

So, the email conversation rolled on quite nicely, until, acting like we were 13, I told her I would be Rory (the main, tiny character) and she could be anyone else. This would just not do for Laura. She said that she was more like Rory and I could be...SOOKIE!

Sookie is an awesome character. In reality, I'd totally love to be Sookie. She's a master cook, married, has two babies and lives in Stars Hollow. Sounds awesome to me. But, I don' t think that's why Laura said I could be Sookie. She said I could be Sookie, because, well, Sookie is Fat. Rory is thin and Sookie is fat and how could I be Rory if I'm fat as well?


I don't want to be an actress, but I now know that I can only be cast as the fat best friend.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone knows that Rory sort of sucks and Sookie rocks the house! Siunds like maybe Laura should be Sookie!

Anonymous said...

I meant that Laura should be Rory cause she sucks!

Anonymous said...

Rh, Rory's kind of a whiny drag anyway. Be Lorelai.

Vanessa said...

I, too, am a Gilmore Girls fan--I've seen every single gosh darn episode, which gives me the credentials to declare Rory an annoying smarty-pants. Sookie is infinitely cooler.

I also want to state that your friend sucks. Don't you wish there was some easy way to shake off friends who you are really only friends with because of time and not because you actually like them?

Anonymous said...

I don't watch Gilmore Girls, I'm just happy to read I'm not the only fatty with a skinny friend that you sometimes want to shake the hell out of because they are constantly debating out loud in your presence whether or not they should go to the gym that day or asking if 60 minutes of cardio will burn off the calories in two oreos... um, I would think I would be the last person anyone would ask such questions of. I have to wonder, does my friend do this out of some hatred for my fattiness/ a need to shame me, or because she just doesn't see me as her "fat" friend. Hmm, I vote the former.

Anonymous said...

Jess, I vote the latter. Thin girls get body dysmorpia disorder too, and it sucks to hear them, but if they're your friends, I'm not sure you can hate them because of it.

(Although you can gently point out how much patriarchal beauty standard BS they've swallowed and how many calories it might have. Hee.)

FMG, "fat" best friends win Best Supporting Actress Oscars & Emmys. Come on, now, Ungaro will still make you a hot dress like that one Camryn wore. Life ain't fair, but it's real. Let's get what we can here.

K said...

Rory is a boy's name. Just saying.

Lobstar said...

My stupid high school did a lame "1990 Senior Class TV Show" list where they named everyone as a character from a show of the era. I, of course, got Roseanne. And as much as I might have wanted to convince myself that it was an homage to my acerbic wit, I know that it was more related to my size. Yep. That's high school for you!

GoBetty said...

Rory is a trendy girl's name now.

Also, Natalie was the best Facts of Life girl.

JBMolina said...

Your friend... kind of sucks.